Monday, July 24, 2006

Packing Up & Moving Out

I've been packing up all my stuff as I am moving houses. I find it quite a traumatising experience each time I move. As you're packing your stuff into boxes, you find things which have laid untouched and forgotten in places like behind a shelf or cupboard. And as you hold them in your hands, you spend time reminiscing how they end up with you. Each little thing you find tells its own story. And then you find things which you have to decide whether to bin it or to take it away with you. The dilema comes when your sentimental self finds it too valuable to throw it away and your logical self tells you that there is no space for it. Most of the time, I just have to bin it with a torn heart.

Material things aside, I find it psychologically taxing as well, as I'm leaving the comfortable and the familiar behind and going into the unknown. Memories of people and friends at Hodgkin House will always be remembered and cherished, both good and bad. But I think the change is good for me, even though it is stressful. I'll probably feel that I'm stagnating and start getting really attached to the furniture if I remain any further.

On another note, I shall be leaving for Cape Town on Wednesday ( hurray! more packing!) to do a conservation project involving great white sharks (see: http://holeofmightymouse.blogspot.com/2006/06/life-in-slow-lane.html). Depending on the availability of internet access, I shall try to update this blog as often as I can of my adventures in South Africa.

1 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

Thanks Fede!
I hope you have a great time too!

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home