Friday, June 16, 2006

Life in the slow lane

Now that my finals are over, things are settling down abit. It really does feel strange, not having anything to do. My results should be out by the 23rd of June and I'll probably start biting my nails on the 22nd. In the mean time, besides watching the World Cup, I'm trying to pick up my banjo again. I bought my banjo 2 years ago. And strangely enough, each time I start to get real good at it, I've got to put it down due to other committments. And when I pick it up again, I need to start from the basics as my fingers have lost their touch. I guess this stop-start behaviour tend to represent most of the things I do in life. Picking up new hobbies and then stopping it once I loose my interest. I'm trying to change the habit as I know its not very healthy.
Also, since my exams are over, I am doing things at a really relaxed pace. The sense of urgency that was always behind my actions is now gone. And it feels quite liberating! Oh I'm stopping to smell the flowers too!


So what are my plans now? Well, for starters, I'm looking for a new place to stay with a couple of friends. Its time to move out and move on with my life. Don't get me wrong, the house (Hodgkin House) which I'm staying in is an excellent place and I get to meet interesting people from all over the world. I've had many memories, both happy and sad, in this house. But I realise that I'm now no longer a student (not for long anyway!), its time to grow up and get on with another phase of my life. But I shall miss the people and will always have many memories of this place.
Next, graduation! The ceremony is on the 17th of July and my family is coming! I've got to start drawing up some kind of itinerary for them as this will be their first time in Bristol!
And finally, I shall be meeting my destiny when I go to South Africa at the end of July. I'll be in Cape Town (or nearby) for just over a month and I'll be working with an organisation dedicated to the conservation of Great White Sharks! I'll be involved in (I hope!) sighting, tagging, cage diving, recording, and filming of the great white in its natural environment. Oh boy I just can't wait! So that is my summer in a nutshell. Of course there will be many more wonderful events before it ends (will it ever end?)....parties...BBQs....summer of love..... Aaahhh, life in the slow lane.....

2 Comments:

Blogger Lucia said...

Hey guys!I'm really glad for both of u, but it really sounds strange that SJ is leaving HH!?Who will still be there when Fede andI will come to Bristol??

1:25 PM  
Blogger SJ said...

Fede - Many thanks! I hope you enjoy your free time too! Its amazing isn't it?

Lucia - Don't worry, I'm sure there'll still be some familiar faces around...;-)

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home