Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Black Gold

Have you checked the price of oil? It now stands at $71.60 a barrel. As reported on the BBC, this price has been fuelled by Iran's nuclear standoff with the international community. Isn't it time to actually decouple our economy from oil? How long should our economy be held hostage by oil prices? Inflation, interest rates, house prices, car prices, electricity, air tickets, ....... anything that you can think of, will be affected by the price of oil. And what about the environment? The production of oil directly contributes to global warming. All nations should make more effort to improve alternative energy sources. It can be done. Imagine if all those monies spent on building up armies and weapons were to be directed to solving this problem, give it 10 years, I'm sure it can be solved.

But its not happening. Nations are not doing enough. Governments are giving excuses that it would affect their economic competitiveness. What is money worth when the whole world has been flooded over due to the melting of the ice caps? It becomes paper. We have to make some sacrifices. We have to sacrifice the paper called money for the health of the world. Take a look at the state of the world now and you'll understand what I mean. Floods in Europe, Hurricanes in America, ......

I admit that is a very simplistic solution, but hey sometimes keeping it simple is the only way forward. Alas, I know the top brass won't do anything substantial until people start getting wiped out like flies. It will be too late by then. Society and its rules and laws , as we know it, will probably collapse.

Enough ranting from me. I'm gonna start planning. I'm going to look for some high ground to build my "settlement". I'm going to learn some hunting & farming skills. In 50 years time, when the world has flooded over, you'll find me on some high ground, living simply. A simple man in a simple house...... want to join me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home