Sunday, January 28, 2007

A Poem

Its supposed to be another animal encounter post today, but I forgot to take my camera with me when I was at the zoo yesterday. So to fill up this space, I've decided to do some poetry, in honour of Robert Burns, author of many Scots poems including "Auld Lang Syne" which is generally sung as a folk song at Hogmanay and other New Year celebrations around the world.

I recently had the honour to attend a Burns supper on Friday night, which was organised by the people I work with. And oh what a night it was! It was held in a really posh and swanky hotel in London. And I was in the VIP lounge called the "Sky Lounge" of the hotel in Westminster. We were at the top of the hotel and the lounge had a 360 view of the London skyline, which was amazing. Then I ate haggis, which is a traditional scottish delicacy made from offal (which I shall not go into detail), and drank whiskey (everything went downhill from there). Perks of the job I say!

Anyway, the poem which I'm about to write is loosely based on a song from my childhood, but I've butchered it up so it comes across as almost original. So here it goes:

Early morning late one night,
Two dead dogs came out to fight,
One blind man to see fair play,
One deaf man to shout hooray!
Fancy fancy fancy that,
Hey! Fancy fancy fancy that.

A paralysed dog came walking by,
Kicked the blind man in the eye,
Kicked him through a six foot wall,
Into a well to drown them all,
Fancy fancy fancy that,
Hey! Fancy fancy fancy that.

Well? What do you think?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola Sj!!

Como estas? well,I usually read your blog, and I guess things are going very well for you...I'll see you in Bristol in March, and this time for sure!! be ready to go out!! :)

Muchos besos

Ana

10:22 AM  
Blogger Buddhist_philosopher said...

Heya SJ -

A wonderful poem. The very visual irony draws me into it, and the sing-song, playful rhythm accentuates the irony even more (as I happily read along into the demise of them all!)...

A very fun poem.

8:51 PM  
Blogger SJ said...

Haha!
Glad you both liked it!

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home