Monday, September 17, 2007

Agony

Looks like the previous post was a self fulfiling prophecy. I not only had to go to the toilet once, but twice during the half marathon! My time was 1 hr 54 mins. And I was actually looking to go under 1 hr 30 mins before my first toilet break hit me. I was pretty lucky for the first one as there was one of those porta-loos along the route when I had to go. I wasn't so lucky when I had to go the 2nd time. I was basically in agony for about 30 mins before I dashed into a hotel (thank you Ramada Bristol!) along the route to use their first class toilet. And that was how I felt for the rest of the day, even after the half marathon. I was feeling extremely weak and dehydrated that I had great trouble walking back home after the run. It looked like I was suffering from a mild bout of food poisoning from the smoked mackerel I ate the night before (grrrrr).

So there you go. Just imagine, assuming I took 20 mins for my toilet breaks, my actual timing could be 1 hr 20 something mins! Instead, what could be a personal best for me turned out to be one of the most agonising runs I've ever done. Oh well, such is life and I'm just glad I got through the ordeal without looking like a wimp in front of thousands of people.

Anyway, I'm now back home in Singapore and its humid as hell! Well, almost. The recent rains seems to have cooled things down a bit and the breeze whispering at me feels pretty soothing. I've met up with most of my friends and family and I've just couple of days left before I return to England. I'm gonna feel pretty homesick when I do. The journey back is always never pleasant.

2 Comments:

Blogger Buddhist_philosopher said...

Heya SJ - sorry to hear about the half-marathon woes, but now you know (it's all about learning, right?). Next time will be MUCH better. Hope you're enjoying home, and keep in touch with travels and travel plans!! :)

4:54 PM  
Blogger kp said...

haha... yaya... i could have run it under an hour if i have taken part in tt.... hahaha ;P *wink

juz kidding... next time get the personal best again la.. ;)

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home