Sunday, March 11, 2007

Animal Encounters XVI

The Cagiva V Raptor 650

"Holy Smokes Batman! Isn't that your bike?!"

I know, I know.....its not an animal......but its so awesome! This is my new motorbike! It's a 2000 registration. So it's almost 7 years old, but its very clean and looks just like new! Its powered by a 650cc Vertical Twin engine (V-Twin), the very same class of engines which are found in Harley Davidsons, Buells and Ducatis. It's got plenty of style and street cred, like most Italian bikes. But unlike most Italian bikes, its got power to back it up too! It can go from 0 - 60mph (not that I've tried) in just 3 secs! It is classified as a naked/muscle bike. And its got a very futuristic look to it, with a sharp beak-like head very much like its name (Raptor - bird of prey in latin). You either love it or hate it. And I love it.

"No Robin, that's the bike of Mighty Mouse, and a damn fine bike it is!"

Of course with great power, you need great control. This bike is one of the most stable bikes I've every ridden. It's pretty forgiving and very stable in corners, helped by its low centre of gravity, which makes me want to go even lower when turning into corners. I can't describe the feeling of exhilaration as you come out of a corner and nailing the throttle to the bone and exploding forward like a rocket! Its one of the biggest thrills you can get (besides flying).

Check out the sexy rear end!

It has also been fitted with aftermarket exhausts (Carbon Cans) that gives it a very deep growl as you start the bike up. I'm pretty sure I'll make enemies out of my neighbours in the coming weeks. However, this deep sound works both ways too. Besides annoying my neighbours and giving me great pleasure, it lets car drivers know that I'm coming, and...surprisingly....they give way and let me pass. Hence I twist the throttle and roar away.

If looks could kill....

After what I've said so far, you must be thinking I've become a hooligan. Of course, I've always been a hooligan, but I realise the dangers of motorcycling. So rest assured I shall, and will always, be practicing safe riding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home