Friday, March 24, 2006

Work in Progress.....

Oh dear! How time flies....its almost the end of term again! And its just 3 more months before I graduate! I will cease to be a student very soon....a day which I have been dreading, but also looking forward to at the same time. A phase of my life will end and another will begin.....but I'll handle that when the time comes. In the mean time, I've been looking out of the windows of the main lab where I work/study/live/suffer and I've noticed a subtle change in the Wills Memorial Building.

Before


After


It seems that there are now small little insects crawling all over the Wills building. According to the university website, the 215 foot, Grade II listed tower is now undergoing essential repair and restoration work that should be finished by October 2006. That means when I and hundreds of other finalists graduate in June/July, it will still be covered in ugly scaffoldings.
No more pretty pictures of graduates in their gowns and happy parents with the magnificient Wills as a backdrop = Bad publicity = What a pity...
Interesting Fact: The Wills tower houses the fourth largest bell in England! And it has many gargolyes which caricature contemporary members of the University's staff.

Well....who knows? Maybe miracles can happen and they finish everything by June....

Happy Easter holidays everyone!

2 Comments:

Blogger Lucia said...

I'm really sad for the scaffoldings on Wills Memorial...!!!It's an icon of Bristol!However,I'm sure that after the works it will be even more fascinating...But I'm sorry for ur degree pixes!!Anyway,those pixes will prove that u were there during an important phase of the Wills' history, that is,its first XXI century's redecoration!

12:49 PM  
Blogger SJ said...

Hello Lucia!
Its good to hear from you. Yes, you're right, it'll make it easy for me to remember. Hehehe....I can say that I was there in '06.

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home