Thursday, March 09, 2006

Significance of Birthdays....

As I prepare to go to the Highbury Vaults to have some celebratory drinks in the honour of my good course mate's birthday, I question the significance of birthdays to ourselves. Before I continue, let me state that I've never....I repeat never... ever known so many birthdays happening in such a short period of time (Feb-Mar) until this year. I just had mine 2 weeks ago, and 2 girls in my Spanish class just had theirs too (amazingly, one of them a day after mine!). A friend's brother just had his too. I'm honoured to know so many fellow pisceans....its the sexiest sign to be ;-)
But apart from all that, what is the birthday worth to us? It is, after all, the day we were brought into this world. One could say that it is a sacred day. The Sri Aurobindo Society states :

"It is truly a special day in one's life. It is one of those days in the year when the Supreme descends into us - or when we are face to face with the Eternal - one of those days when our soul comes in contact with the Eternal and, if we remain a little conscious, we can feel His Presence within us. If we make a little effort on this day, we accomplish the work of many lives as in a lightning flash. That is why I give so much importance to the birthday - because what one gains in one day is truly something incomparable… My child, it is a very very special day, for it is the day of decision, the day one can unite with the Supreme Consciousness. For the Lord lifts us on this day to the highest region possible so that our soul, which is a portion of that Eternal Flame, may be united and identified with its Origin."
That was quite a lenghty explaination, but in short, it means that it is sacred and hence one should treat it with respect and make full use of it. The AskMoses.com states:

"A Jewish birthday is a very auspicious day. Our sages tell us that on a person’s birthday his “mazel” is dominant. Indeed, according to the Talmud, the miracle of Purim is largely credited to the fact that Moses’ birthday occurs during the month of Adar! Two of our major holidays celebrate birthdays: Rosh Hashanah is the birthday of Adam, and Passover is the collective birthday of the Jewish Nation (see Ezekiel, chapter 16). Your birthday is a day to express gratitude to G-d for bringing you into this world, entrusting you with the mission of illuminating it with the radiance of Torah and Mitzvot. This day, which is akin to a personal Rosh Hashanah, is the appropriate time to recommit to the mission at hand, resolving that the added maturity and experience gained during the past year will cause the following year to be even more productive and fruitful."
In short, pretty much the same thing as the one above. So in the light of all these religious context, how do people spend their birthdays? Some go out and get so drunk that they wish its not their birthday the next morning. Others throw a big party. Some treat themselves to a nice milkshake ;-) or a really posh full body massage. As for me, I didn't want to do anything as I had too much work to do that night (lazy excuse you might say), but due to my pushy housemates, we ended up having a surprisingly nice dinner and quite a few bottles of wine (so much so that one of them got a bit too talkative). I guess it all boils down to the individual in the end. Sure, friends might treat you extra special on your birthday, but you can only be 21 once in your life (25 in my case). You are who you want to be. You can be 8, 18 or 80.
So for tonight, how will it all end? Will we drink like there's no tomorrow? Will we all scream, shout, laugh, cry to vent our happiness at the anniversary of a birth? Will we end up like hedonistic cavemen with pints in our hands? Probably not, as we are all responsible final year students........;-)
Happy 23rd birthday Tom!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, let me thank you SJ for wishing me a happy birthday. It was indeed a good birthday... even though I kept it quiet from everyone, I still returned home after a day at university to find a large present awaiting me. It was none other than a scooter, aged 5+, I had just made the age bracket, at 23 :-). Its the best birthday present ever, especially after a few pints - there's nothing funnier than watching your mate ride down a steep hill without understanding the concept of braking!
I don't know if I have united with my Supreme Consciousness, and I am extremely doubtful that I have gained any sort of maturity over this past year, but what I do know is that your birthday is a time to spend with your friends and forget all of your worries for just one day. It is also a great way to get free drinks at the pub ;-) So thank you everyone that came tonight, and I eagerly await the next birthday festivities!

Tom

1:29 AM  
Blogger SJ said...

Yay! I'm honoured to have the man of the moment commenting. I agree, it was a good birthday. And it was relaxed and enjoyable. Just try to keep the gray hairs out of sight...;-)

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you have time to write all this!?

I certainly don't have time to read it.

;)

Craig

12:48 PM  
Blogger SJ said...

Ah! My good friend! Mr Chorley!
I'm not tearing my hair out as I write this. Its meant to be something relaxing, therapeutic, even experimental I might say. A place to vent my creativity when its been bottled up all day. I don't have to update it everyday....it is not a place where I write my mundane tasks. The point of this blog is my light hearted musings. Just as I ask why you do gymnastics when you're not going to be a pro...tis the same principle here. You have given me something to think about. Perhaps I shall address this point sometime in the future.....but I hope you enjoy it as I continue to write...

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home