Wednesday, August 06, 2008

The Great North American Adventure !!!


Yellowstone National Park spans an area of 3,468 square miles, comprising of lakes, canyons, rivers and mountain ranges. Yellowstone Lake is one of the largest high-altitude lakes in North America and is centered over the Yellowstone Caldera, the largest supervolcano on the North American continent.

Yellowstone Lake....which beneath lies an active volcano

The caldera is considered an active volcano and it has erupted with tremendous force several times in the last two million years. Half of the world's geothermal features are in Yellowstone, fueled by this ongoing volcanism. Lava flows and rocks from volcanic eruptions cover most of the land area of Yellowstone, creating some of the most amazing and beautiful landscapes ever seen. And this was where we found ourselves on the last leg of my journey in America. Justin and I were on a two day camping trip in the Yellowstone National Park.


Amazing landcape!

Yellowstone National Park, set aside as a national park in 1872, is located mostly in the state of Wyoming, although it also extends into Montana and Idaho. The park was the first of its kind, and is known for its wildlife and its many geothermal features like hot springs and geysers, especially Old Faithful Geyser, one of the most popular areas in the park.

At Old Faithful.....


And there she goes!


A hot spring


The vast forests and grasslands contain many unique species of plants. Grizzlies, wolves, and free-ranging herds of bison and elk live in the park.

Bison!

Elk!


Grizzly Bear!


Rivers, cascades and waterfalls are abundant as well. One of the rivers, the Firehole River, never freezes in winter due to the abundant runoff from the geothermal features in this area. Hence it is a popular gathering place for wildlife during that season when the park is dominated by freezing temperatures and deep snow.


Our campsite

I had such a great time in Yellowstone National Park and would definitely recommend everyone to go visit it. I took so many pictures that my camera ran out of batteries. And that was on the first day of our trip!

An amazing sulfurous landscape!

This brings us to the end of my wonderful experience in Montana. I was there for roughly ten days and I fully enjoyed all ten days. As you can see from this post and the previous posts, all ten days were extrememly busy. Given the chance, I would have no hesitation going back to relive those days again. I left Montana with my mind full of images and experiences that I still think about them and have many dreamy nights. I have to say a big thank you to the all-wise and knowledgeable Justin, for without him this trip would not have been possible. I hope to return the favour someday soon.


Yeah I miss you too.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home